The IGDA scholarships programs provides opportunities for students to attend major game development conferences around the world, including GDC and E3.
Here at IGDA Japan, we have been pleased to introduce a scholarship program for CEDEC (Computer Entertainment Developers Conference) and TGS (Tokyo Game Show) from 2011 and about 80 scholars have participated in.
Applications are now open till July 10 . Chosen applicants will be given a game studio tour along with the choice of either a CEDEC Regular Pass, or a TGS Business Day Ticket for free.
Both CEDEC and TGS are one of the biggest game developers’ conferences, in Japan and Asia respectively. Our goal is for the chosen scholars to find both the conferences and their time with other scholars fruitful.
In addition, the studios we will visit to are fixed. In CEDEC course, we will visit to GeePlus, Cybird and Aiming. In TGS course, we will visit to Tayutau, DeNA and Aiming.
Course 1: CEDEC
August 29 (Tue) Studio Tour / GeePlus, Cybird, Aiming
August 30 (Wed) CEDEC
August 31 (Thur) CEDEC / Developers Night party
September 01 (Fri) CEDEC
Course 2: Tokyo Game Show
September 20 (Wed) Studio Tour / Tayutau, DeNA, Aiming
September 21 (Tur) Tokyo Game Show (Business day)
September 22 (Fri) Tokyo Game Show (Business day) & “Sense of Wonder Night”
September 23 (Sat) Tokyo Game Show (Public day)
- Each schedules is subjected to change without announcement.
- A One day ticket for a Public Day (Sep.23) at TGS will be given to every scholars.
- Either a CEDEC Regular Pass or a TGS Business Day Ticket will be provided.
- Scholars will be given a tour of a game studio in Tokyo area, where they will get the opportunity to the studio in action and talk with its developers.
- A relevant industry professional will also be assigned to the scholars as a mentor during the event period.
PASS & Ticket sponsored
It is being adjusted
How many students are participating?
- A total of 18 applicants will be chosen, 9 for each event.
- Scholars can only choose one conference (either CEDEC or TGS)
- former scholars for CEDEC and TGS scholarship can’t send any applications. Other scholars (GDC, E3…) will be acceptable.
- Associated costs such as travel fare, accommodations, and meals are NOT covered by the scholarship program
- The studio tour is subject to cancellation based on the studio’s schedule. However, scholars will still be able to attend the conference they chose.
- Every scholar have to write a report in English or Japanese after programs. They will be uploaded on this website.
- You need to have own Facebook account to send the application. Every scholar will be register for the scholarship group page on Facebook to share the information and communicate each other.
- The information of name, school, degree, etc. of scholars will be given for the companies of studio tour before.
- Every scholar have to send their demos, portfolios, works, etc. The studio tour companies can check them before.
- Every scholars have to cooperate with our survey. It will be send to studios which cooperate tours.
How To Apply:
Please carefully read through the conditions below before filling out the application form. A link to the application can be found at the top of this entry.
Prerequisites (applicants must fulfil the following conditions)
- daily conversation skill in Japanese (This program is open for international students but Japanese speakers should have priority for selection)
- Applicants must be 18 years old or older
- Applicants must be a currently enrolled student in a vocational school or college, or a recent graduate
- Applicants must be fully interested in working in the Japanese game industry
- Applicants must be a IGDA student member (registration can be done, an IGDA membership number is required as part of the application form)
Deadline: July 10(Mon) *Japan local time
IGDA Japan is currently looking for game industry professionals who wish to provide an exciting and fruitful experience for chosen applicants of the scholarship program. Mentors will accompany the scholars during the period, helping them with career advice, introductions to other professionals, or with any questions the scholars may have. Please be aware that mentors are asked to accompany the scholars for at least one hour a day during the event (either during CEDEC or TGS).
If you wish to become a mentor for the CEDEC2017 & TGS2017 scholarship program, please email us (contact information at the bottom) with the following details by July 31st (Mon):
- Your name
- Company name
- Job title
- Experience in the game industry
- Latest title you worked on
- Mobile number
- Facebook link
- Estimated time you can accommodate for the scholars during the event
*Please note that mentors will NOT be provided with a CEDEC or TGS pass